What’s happening in the Archive?
Fulton, Early Days
For February, I thought it might be a good time to take a look back at Fulton’s beginnings and share some information Charles Iager donated to the archives.
Fulton Post Office
Fulton, Maryland is over a hundred years old. Historically, the
post office has been the focal point of the town. In over 100 years this hasn’t change, although the building
housing the post office have changed. Located on Route 216 between Routes 29 and 108, Fulton’s earliest
settlers arrived a little before 1700. Around 1699, Thomas
Browne, known as the “Patuxent Ranger” was commissioned to survey from Richard Snowden’s “Birmington Manor” near what is now Laurel to the farthest limits of
the Patuxent River. Then, according to history, Snowden started out to follow Browne into his beautiful forest
country and came up the Patuxent River by canoe as far as what is now Fulton.
In 1803, a tract of land containing 1,005 acres was conveyed to Rezin Hammond by the State of Maryland. Hammond owned the land around Fulton. Later on, settlers
came from other countries, other parts of Maryland and the Southern United States. Due to the number of people, a
post office was established under the name of Waters Store on December 29, 1874. Richard Waters was the postmaster.
The name of the post office was changed to Fulton on March 28, 1882 . The post office and town were name after Charles Carroll Fulton.
Fulton has managed to maintain its zip code despite efforts to combine it was surrounding communities.
St Paul’s a Integral Part of Fulton. St. Paul’s is also a spiritual focal point of Fulton. Having grown with the community since early 1870’s. You may ask what was happening with the church during this time period as the community
was forming? Historical Highlights
Early 1870—An organization meeting was held in Simpsonville under the direction of Rev. Verhoff. Elected as Trustees for this project: Henry Iager, Henry Timmermann and John Damm. (A Wooden Church was built on our site later.)
July 3, 1870– The first baby is baptized into the new congregation. Eva Caroline, daughter of Frederick Renn and Catherine born April 14, 1870.
Early 1871—Pastor J. H. Mengert is called to be Pastor of
“The Evangelical Reformed Lutheran Church of Howard
County” as our congregation was known then.
April 16, 1871– The First Sunday After Easter, was when the
first services in the newly constructed church took place.
German services were held in the morning, English in the afternoon. The German and English services then alternated on each following Sunday. The first Sunday School was also organized on this day with 48 teach-ers and pupils.
August 6, 1871– The new church was dedicated by Pastor Mengert and Dr. Wilhelm Ebeling of Catonsville. From this date forward, the congregation became know as “St. Paul’s Evangelical Lutheran Church”.
July 21, 1872– The first death is recorded. Charles Albert Krause, born September 5, 1871.
August 25, 1872– The first wed-ding is held in the new church was when Martin Iager took as his bride, Miss Mary Ann Smith.
September 1872– Ernst Ide called to St. Paul’s
December 29, 1874– The town is on the map and known as Waters Store with its own Post Office.
July 1876– Pastor Martin Kraett installed as Pastor.
1878– Pastor G. H. Brandon suc-ceeds Pastor Kraett.
September 1879- Pastor Ernst Ide again called to St. Paul’s. (Pastor Ernst would remain Pastor of St. Paul’s until 1897)
March 28, 1882– The town’s name is changed to Fulton and we become St. Paul’s Evangelical Lutheran Church” of Fulton.
1892—A bell tower is added to the church. (Not in its present location.)
December 13, 1893– A bell is pur-chased from the McShane Bell Foundry in Baltimore, MD for $106
January 1, 1894—Ladies Aid first mentioned in St. Paul’s records.
1897– Pastor R. A. Salzwedel is called to St. Paul’s
1898– A chancel is added to our wooden church.
1901– Pastor H. A. Wegner, who served St. John’s at the same time is called as Pastor of St. Paul’s
1904– Pastor C. F. W. Hartlage, who served both St. John’s and St. Paul’s is called.
1907– Pastor H. F. Richards is called. At this time, St. John’s and St. Paul’s are served by separate Pas-tors. (First time since 1899)
September 6, 1908– Application for the congregation to become a member of the Joint Synod of Ohio was made under the following names: Henry Timmermann, August Wessel, Frank Flostedt, John Grauel and George Renn.
September 1, 1911– Pastor L. P. Propst is installed.
June 4, 1915—The Luther League is organized.
June 1915– Frank Florstedt is or-dained. The first son of the congre-gation to enter the ministry.
May 25, 1930– Cecil Propst is or-dained by Pastors L. P. Propst and Edward Meuser. Cecil Propst be-comes the second son of congrega-tion to enter the ministry. (Cecil Propst was the son of Rev. L. P. Propst.)
August 11, 1930– The American Lutheran Church is organized in To-ledo, Ohio and St. Paul’s becomes a member of this body.
July 31, 1932– Ground is broken for the new stone church. (The building we have now.) Mr. John Bassler, Sr. turned the first spade full of dirt. Pastors L. P. Propst, Cecil Propst and R. W. Winters officiated the ground breaking.
August 28. 1932—Cornerstone of our present building is laid.
January 1, 1933– Dedication of the new church. Almost 400 persons in attendance. Pastors L. P. Propst, Cecil Propst, R. W. Winters and Dr. C. H. Schuetter, President of the Eastern District officiated.
As you have read, St. Paul’s has been an integral part of this community since before it even became known as the Fulton Community. With our humble beginning as a wooden church to the stone church we presently are now.
There has always been a vison moving forward and evolving to be a vital part of the community. Now in our approximately 148th year, how will we continue to grow and be a vital part of the community?
What will this generation’s legacy be to the future of the community of Fulton?