For July, I thought I would focus on the 150th Anniversary of St. Paul’s coming up next year and perhaps reflect on what was happening 50 years ago at St. Paul’s.
As, you may be aware the Evangelism committee is in full swing discussing plans for this event and all are invited to get involved. The Evangelism Committee will meet again on July 8th at 7 pm in the chapel.
The Dymeks and Elsie Mae Bassler have provided me with materials from the 125th that I would like to share with you now.
Excerpts from the December 13, 1994 Planning Meeting for the 125th as submitted by Adeline Oehlke (Courtesy of Joe & Cathy).
Present Carol Wanner, Irene & Al Iager, Harriet Schroeder, Elaine Bentz, Kathleen Lichtenauer, Adeline & Norm Oehlke and Pastor Rod
125th to be held October 22, 1995 culminating our year of activities. Celebration in the early evening hours after our regular two service schedule.
- Rev. Ted Menter to be contacted for inclusion in the event.
- Betty Kerwin to paint a 125th sign.
- Randy Arndt to work on a picture of our Church from the air.
- Archives to provide an 1860’s map of the area.
- Various fund raising suppers to be sponsored by the “1st of the Month Club” being February 1995 to help with the celebration costs.
- Brotherhood’s “Father Son Banquet” to be held before Easter to help raise funds.
- “Flea Market” in the spring to help fund the celebration.
- Sunday School to zero in on the heritage of our church. Sandy to lead craft project depicting the Lord as the vine and the members as the leaves.
- A skit to be preformed by Sandy and Martha Best in period clothes to impart historical information about our founding families.
- Stained-Glass windows in the church to display historical information about these former members who donated the windows.
- Founding member’s graves to display Lutheran Flags.
- Invite the “sons of St. Paul’s to preach.
- Cookbooks to be sold of members favorite recipes to help defray the costs.
- Catered Meal for 200 guests on October 22nd featuring:
1. Oriental Food
2. Italian Food
3. American Food
4. Mexican Food
Meal to be $21 per person.
Catered by Sutton Gourmet Place
What was St. Paul’s up to in 1969?
- Rev. Gerald F. Scheck installed as Pastor April 13, 1969
- Robert Berger, “4th son of St. Paul’s” ordained in Ohio, June 1969
- During July 1969, In memory of her husband John, Leila Schmnke donated the “Wayward Traveler” by Kovac Elemar for use in the “Fellowship Room.” (Youth Room)
- The “Fellowship Room”, now the “Youth Room” was completed as a memorial to Elmer and Elsie Wessel in September 1969. Dr. & Mrs. Allison Saville donation helped make this possible.
50 years ago, Apollo 11, put Men on the Moon.
If a man could walk on the moon 50 years ago with so many people working together to make the mission a success, I believe if we all pull together, St. Paul’s can mark this very important milestone in our history with a series of events all through 2020, not just on the big day October 25th.
Are you willing to take a role in the mission?
What can you do for your church today?
PS keep watching for more information about the 150th Anniversary in the coming months!
Member Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/438901092851824/
Public Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/StPaulsFulton
Twitter: https://twitter.com/stpaulsfulton (@stpaulsfulton)